About the Program
This program will help you fill out the paperwork you need to open an estate in Probate.
After you complete the interview the program will produce a Petition to Open Decedent's Estate for the Probate Division. This is the form you will need to start an estate in probate. You can find more information, and the forms, online.
This interview can help you in cases where there is a will, or where there is no will. You can also use this interview for a small estate and for ancillary estates.
Before you start, you will need:
- the will, if there is one, including any codicils (changes or additions)
- a list of the property of the person who died and the approximate value of the property
- book and page number of any deed for real estate; this can be found at the town clerk's office of the town where the real estate is located
- a copy of the death certificate, if starting a new case
- a list of interested persons (people who have an interest or may have an interest in the property of the estate)
- This can be very simple or very complicated. If you are just starting the estate process (opening an estate) you should know the "family tree" of the decedent. If this information has already been filed, you will need a copy of that information.
If the person who died did not live in Vermont but had real estate in Vermont, you will need the court order giving you authority to open the estate here. This must be issued by the court in the other state. Most states call these "letters testamentary."
Note: You will be taken to our partner website called LawHelp Interactive.
If you have any questions about these forms, review the CourtFormPrep Frequently Asked Questions.