It is important to learn money skills in order to manage and grow your money.
Many organizations offer programs that allow you to save some of your money in special accounts. Some of these accounts come with matching funds. This means that when you save money, the government or an agency puts money in your savings account. Other accounts are helpful for your finances in other ways. Most of these accounts have restrictions on how you can spend the money you have saved.
Individual Development Accounts (IDAs)
- Learn about IDAs on Capstone Community Action's website
- Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO) - 1-802-860-1417
Family Self Sufficiency Accounts (FSS)
- FSS accounts help you to save money
- Learn more about FSS accounts on U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD's) website
- Learn more about the FSS program at your local Public Housing Authority
These resources may be useful for finding more information about money skills:
- Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity (CVOEO) - 802-860-1417
- Your local Neighborworks HomeOwnership Center
- Northfield Savings Bank - 802-485-5871
- Opportunities Credit Union - 1-800-865-8328
- USDA Rural Development, New Hampshire and Vermont State Office - 802-828-6000
- Taking Charge: Plan Now for Future Financial Control