We will ask you to answer some questions to see if you are eligible to speak with one of our lawyers. This is called the “intake” process.
For example, we will ask you questions about:
- personal information such as address, telephone number, date of birth, Social Security number and how many people are in your household
- the problem or issue you are calling about
- your income and assets to determine if we can help you
All information you give us is protected by attorney/client privilege and will not be shared without your permission.
Our staff will decide how best to help you.
Depending on your situation and if you qualify for help, you may:
- get legal advice over the telephone
- get information sent to you by mail or email
- get limited legal research
- be represented by one of our lawyers or a volunteer lawyer
- be directed to information to help you represent yourself in court
- be referred to a private lawyer for advice or representation
- be referred to other agencies that can help you