You may qualify for free tax preparation. Free help is available only until April 15. See if you qualify for free help.
Low or Moderate Income
Are you low- or moderate-income? You may qualify for free help to file your federal tax return and apply for a property tax adjustment or renter rebate.
- Get Help from a Tax Preparer
You can find free tax help here:
- IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) - If your family income is $54,000 or less, use the IRS VITA site locator tool to find a free tax preparation site near you.
- AARP Tax-Aide - it's not just for seniors! Find out where you may be able to get free tax help on AARP's Tax-Aide website.
- Call 2-1-1 for an appointment at a free tax preparation site near you!
- File It Yourself at the IRS Free File Website
- If your income is $66,000 or less, you can save time and money by using one of the Free File tax prep products offered by 14 commercial software companies on the Internal Revenue Service website, IRS.gov/freefile. The Free File site lets you do your federal tax returns either using brand-name software or online fillable forms. Free File is for federal returns, but most companies also offer state tax return preparation. Some offer state return preparation for free.
- You can also find free file software at My Free Taxes, if your income is $66,000 or less.
- If your income is over $66,000/year and you are comfortable preparing your own tax return, you can use Free File Fillable Forms.
Check here to see if the AARP can help you file: AARP's Tax-Aide Website.
For Taxpayer Assistance from the Vermont Department of Taxes, call 1-866-828-2865.
- The Vermont Taxpayer Advocate works to resolve taxpayers’ issues with the Vermont Department of Taxes.
- VITA and AARP Tax Aide sites can usually help with Vermont tax returns, Vermont renter rebates and Vermont property tax adjustments.
Vermont Free File
- Some IRS Free File vendors also offer free Vermont returns. Find a list of Vermont Free File vendors at the Vermont Free File website.
- You can file a Renter Rebate, Homestead Declaration or Property Tax Adjustment claim online with MyVTax. This service is free.
This IRS video tells you about the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.