Financial Help for Past-Due Utility Bills in Vermont

Updated 12/16/2020

A program at the Vermont Department of Public Service (DPS) can help with past-due utility bills. The Vermont COVID-19 Arrearage Assistance Program will provide help for account holders with a past-due balance on: 

  • electric bills
  • natural gas bills
  • landline telephone bills 
  • NEW: In mid-November the program was expanded to include bills for municipal water and sewer/wastewater departments, community water systems, fire districts, and other systems that provide water and sewer/wastewater services to Vermonters.

“Arrearage” means a past-due balance. 

Homes and small businesses can apply for help. There are no income guidelines, and you don’t have to have a disconnect notice. However, your difficulty paying the bill must be linked to COVID-19. The funding only covers past-due bills after March 1, 2020.  

Grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until funding runs out. There is limited funding. You must apply by December 15, 2020. 

Get this information together to apply: 

  • Have a copy of the bill(s) handy 
  • ​You'll need to know the account number, service address and the account holder's name 
  • ​If you are looking for help with your telephone bill, you'll need to have an electronic copy that you can upload to the online application. It can be a scan or a PDF file. It can also be a very good photo that is easy to read.
  • You do not need to upload a copy of your electric, natural gas or regulated private water bill 
  • If you don’t have access to the internet, contact your local Vermont Community Action Agency for help 

Learn more and apply online.

Other help

Updated: Apr 07, 2021