If you have Medicaid and have a billing problem, go to our Medicaid billing problem section.
For other billing problems, take these steps to try to resolve the problem:
- Call your insurer to find out what the problem is and how it may be resolved.
- If you are being billed because your claim was denied by the insurer, find out why your claim was denied. Also check your appeal rights. This information appears on your claim denial. Read our section on Appeals to find out more.
- Check your insurance plan or handbook to see if the service you received is a covered service, an excluded service that is not covered, or if your insurer requires a prior authorization or any other steps before it will cover the service.
- Call your provider to see if they gave the insurer the right information or if they can help resolve the problem. The provider may be able to supply more information to show why the service should be covered by your insurer.
- If your billing problem involves two or more insurance providers, read our section on Coordination of Benefits.
- If you have medical debt that you cannot pay, read our section on Medical Debt.