ROADMAP: Getting a Relief from Abuse (RFA) Order in Vermont

Get Help

Many people in Vermont get an RFA without a lawyer. But you do not have to do this on your own.

You can get help from one of the member organizations of the Vermont Network Against Domestic and Sexual Violence. Find a local office online or call these hotlines:

  • Vermont Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-228-7395
  • Vermont Sexual Violence Hotline at 1-800-489-7273

You can also contact us at Legal Services Vermont and Vermont Legal Aid for help. Call 1-800-889-2047 or fill out our Legal Help Request Form.

If you don't speak English, call one of the phone numbers above and ask for a free interpreter.

Are you a Vermonter with a disability? Does your disability make it hard for you to communicate with the court or understand what is happening in your Relief from Abuse case? Ask about getting a Communication Support Specialist for your case. Call 1-888-686-8277, or email Find more information about the Vermont Communication Support Project.

Safety Note

Applying for an RFA order can be a very dangerous time. Work with an advocate from the Vermont Network to create a safety plan — whether you end up asking for an RFA or not.

Updated: Aug 25, 2023