Vermont’s 3SquaresVT Food Program and the COVID-19 Coronavirus Crisis

Updated 12/28/2020 at 1:15 p.m.

The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 temporarily increases the 3SquaresVT maximum benefit. Learn more on the Vermont Food Help website.

3SquaresVT (known under federal law as the SNAP program and known commonly as “food stamps”) is available to help you meet your family’s food needs.

Even if you have never received 3SquaresVT before, you should apply if your income has changed and your family is experiencing food insecurity. Some laws and procedures for the 3SquaresVT program have changed due to the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Important notes

Extra benefits

If you are getting 3SquaresVT benefits now, your benefits will be increased automatically during the state of emergency. To date, Vermont has been approved to provide “emergency allotments” for each month that Governor Scott has extended Vermont's state of emergency. That means that your benefits will automatically be increased to the maximum amount for your family size.

Your normal allotment will be issued at the beginning of the month, and the emergency allotment will be issued on the 15th of the following month. You will not get a separate notification about your eligibility for the emergency allotment — anyone eligible for 3SquaresVT will automatically get the increased benefit amount.

If you already get the maximum benefit, you will not receive anything extra.

My income has changed. What should I do?

  • Report the change right away to the Benefits Service Center. They may be able to accept “self-declaration” of your change in income.
  • If your income changes again later, because you go back to work, or because you start getting unemployment compensation, be sure to call the Benefits Service Center again to update them on your new income.

Will I still have to do recertification paperwork or an interview during the state of emergency?

  • Yes. Contact the Benefits Service Center at 1-800-479-6151 if you have questions about deadlines.

My benefits are getting reduced or terminated (stopped). What should I do?

  • Call the Benefits Service Center to find out if you need to send in paperwork, provide additional information, or take some other action step to solve the problem. 
  • If that does not solve the problem, you can contact us for help. Call us at 1-800-889-2047 or fill out our form
  • You can also ask for a fair hearing to dispute the termination or reduction of benefits through the Benefits Service Center. Ask for “aid continuing” if you’d like to continue to get the same amount of benefits until the date of your hearing. Hearings are not being scheduled during the state of emergecy.

Learn more

  • Hunger Free Vermont posts information about how to access food, including meals for school children and seniors, WIC, foodbanks and 3SquaresVT.
  • Call 2-1-1 to ask about ways to get help with food.

Source URL:

List of links present in page