Security Deposit Return Letter
Use this form letter to ask your landlord to return your security deposit. Use the text or the PDF below. Learn the steps to take on our Security Deposit Roadmap.
(write your name)
(write your current address)
(write your phone number)
(write your landlord’s name)
(write your landlord’s address)
(write today’s date)
Dear (write your landlord’s name):
I moved out on (write the date you moved out). On (write the date you told your landlord you had moved out), I told you I had moved out.
(Below: Check all that apply.)
- You did not tell me in writing — within 14 days from the date I gave you notice that I moved out — why you were keeping my security deposit. Therefore, you can’t keep any of my security deposit.
- Your letter does not say what damage you claim I did.
- I don’t agree that I did any damage to the home I rented from you.
- I don’t agree that I did the amount of damage you say I did to the home I rented from you.
- If you don’t return my whole security deposit by (write a date at least 7 days from now), I will file a lawsuit against you in Small Claims Court for my security deposit and costs.
- If you don’t return $(write amount) of my security deposit by (write a date at least 7 days from now), I will file a lawsuit against you in Small Claims Court for my security deposit and costs.
(sign your name)
(print your name)
Our PDF file does not fully comply with all applicable guidelines for accessible digital documents. For the most accessible experience, use the text above.
|116.02 KB||116.02 KB|