-A A +A

If You Didn’t File a 2010 Tax Return, the IRS May Owe You Money

April 2, 2014

If you were a student, part-time worker or just didn’t get paid enough to be required to file a tax return in 2010, the IRS may owe you money. The IRS owes 1,600 Vermonters who didn’t file 2010 tax returns an average of $519 each. That’s a total of more than $1 million dollars owed to Vermonters.

To get paid any money the IRS owes you for 2010, you must file a 2010 tax return no later than Tuesday, April 15, 2014. If you are owed a 2010 refund and do not claim it by April 15, the money becomes property of the U.S. Treasury.

Here are some reasons the IRS may owe you money for 2010:

  • Maybe you worked some, but you didn’t make much money and didn’t have to file a tax return. The IRS probably owes you any income taxes that were taken out of your pay or that you paid in quarterly payments.
  • If you didn’t pay any income tax in 2010, the IRS may still owe you Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC) you should have been paid. For 2010, the credit can be as much as $5,666.

You will not owe a penalty for filing a late return in order to get a refund.

Follow these links to get 2010 tax forms and instructions or call 1-800-829-3676. To get the forms you need to fill out your 2010 tax form, you can: