The Green Mountain Care Board accepts comments on all rate review filings – whenever an insurance company wants to change the rates they charge for health insurance. You can make comments beginning on the date the filing is posted on the State of Vermont Rate Review website, and ending on the fifteenth day after the Board posts analysis of the filing prepared by the Board’s actuary and the Department of Financial Regulation. The last day for public comment is listed on the website for each rate filing.
The Board will review public comments on specific rate filings when it makes its decision to approve, modify, or deny an insurance company’s rate request.
How to Comment
You can submit comments on specific rate requests or the rate review process in general. There are 5 ways to comment:
- To submit a general comment (not a comment on a specific rate filing), fill out a public comment form on the Rate Review website. You can also use this general form for comments on a specific rate filing, but if you do you should be sure to state clearly which filing(s) you are writing about.
- To submit a comment on a specific rate request, go to the “View Filings” page of the Vermont Rate Review website and:
- click on the insurer’s name under “View Filings and Decisions” on the left side of the page – choose one that says "Pending Reviews"
- click on the filing you wish to comment on
- click on the “Comment” button
- By email
You can also send your comments to the Green Mountain Care Board email address.
When commenting by mail, be sure to include which rate request you are commenting on. Mail your written comments to:
Green Mountain Care Board
Attention: Rate Review
89 Main Street, 3rd Floor
Montpelier, VT 05620
- By telephone
- Make a list of the main points you wish to make and have it in front of you before you call.
- Call 1-802-828-2177.
- A person will answer during business hours. If all of the lines are busy or if you call after hours, you will get voicemail. You can leave a message with your comments or you can leave your name and phone number and ask for a person to call you back to take your comments.
- Say which filing you are commenting on.
- Say your main points about the filing.
- In person, if a public hearing is held
You have the right to comment on a filing at the public hearing for the filing. However, public hearings are not held for all filings. To find out whether a hearing will be held for a particular rate filing, find the filing on the “View Filings” page of the Rate Review website.
The HCA is available to help you with the public comment process. There is no charge for our services. To reach the HCA, call 1-800-917-7787 or fill in our online help request form.