Vermont’s 3SquaresVT Food Program and the COVID-19 Coronavirus Crisis

Updated 8/25/2020 at 3:45 p.m.


3SquaresVT (known under federal law as the SNAP program and known commonly as “food stamps”) is available to help you meet your family’s food needs. 

Even if you have never received 3SquaresVT before, you should apply if your income has changed and your family is experiencing food insecurity. Some laws and procedures for the 3SquaresVT program have changed due to the COVID-19 coronavirus, and more changes are expected soon. We’ll continue to update this page regularly. 

Important notes

  • Benefits Service Center staff are available to help, but you can also access a lot of information online and through the telephone self-service system.
  • Staff are working overtime to process changes and process new applications.

Extra benefits

If you are getting 3SquaresVT benefits now, your benefits may be increased automatically for the months of March, April, May, June and July 2020. Vermont has been approved to provide “emergency allotments” for these months. That means that your benefits will automatically be increased to the maximum amount for your family size.

The extra benefits for June will start to be issued around July 15. The extra benefits for July will start to be issued around August 15. If you already received the maximum allotment, you will not receive anything extra.

Here is the chart of the maximum benefits.

Maximum 3SquaresVT benefits
Household size Maximum benefit
1 $194
2 $355
3 $509
4 $646
5 $768
6 $921

My income has changed. What should I do?

    • Report the change right away to the Benefits Service Center. They may be able to accept “self-declaration” of your change in income.
    • If your income changes again later, because you go back to work, or because you start getting unemployment compensation, be sure to call the Benefits Service Center again to update them on your new income.

Will I still have to do recertification paperwork or an interview during the state of emergency?

    • Yes. Contact the Benefits Service Center at 1-800-479-6151 if you have questions about deadlines.

My benefits are getting reduced or terminated (stopped). What should I do?

    • Call the Benefits Service Center to find out if you need to send in paperwork, provide additional information, or take some other action step to solve the problem. 
    • If that does not solve the problem, you can contact us for help. Call us at 1-800-889-2047 or fill out our form
    • You can also ask for a fair hearing to dispute the termination or reduction of benefits through the Benefits Service Center. Ask for “aid continuing” if you’d like to continue to get the same amount of benefits until the date of your hearing. Hearings are not being scheduled during the state of emergency.

Learn more

  • Hunger Free Vermont is posting information about how to access food, including meals for school children and seniors, WIC, foodbanks and 3SquaresVT.
  • Call 2-1-1 to ask about ways to get help with food.
  • Learn more about 3SquaresVT on the 3SquaresVT pages of our website.



Updated: Aug 25, 2020